Monday, February 20, 2012

MS SQL 2000 and Windows 2003 Cluster

I installed MS SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 server cluster (no service
packs). Both nodes are online and both domain controllers are online.

I tried to install SP3 and got the following error:

-----

Logon Account could not be validated.

No authority could be contacted for authentication.

-----

I installed SQL SP 2 and did not get the error but I do get it every
time I try to install SP3.

Does anybody have an idea that might help resolve the problem.bryan <bryanf0@.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<8blci097aakmnppsusjrbhb27r2r5n3c6n@.4ax.com>...
> I installed MS SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 server cluster (no service
> packs). Both nodes are online and both domain controllers are online.
> I tried to install SP3 and got the following error:
> -----
> Logon Account could not be validated.
> No authority could be contacted for authentication.
> -----
> I installed SQL SP 2 and did not get the error but I do get it every
> time I try to install SP3.
> Does anybody have an idea that might help resolve the problem.

SP2 isn't supported on Server 2003, although SP3 should install fine:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=329329

You might want to post in microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering, in
case your issue is specific to a cluster setup. You could also call
PSS directly - if you have the resources to plan and implement
clustering then I guess the cost of a support call shouldn't be a
problem. And of course if it's a bug then you aren't charged anyway.

Simon|||On 23 Aug 2004 07:05:20 -0700, sql@.hayes.ch (Simon Hayes) wrote:

>bryan <bryanf0@.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<8blci097aakmnppsusjrbhb27r2r5n3c6n@.4ax.com>...
>> I installed MS SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 server cluster (no service
>> packs). Both nodes are online and both domain controllers are online.
>>
>> I tried to install SP3 and got the following error:
>>
>> -----
>>
>> Logon Account could not be validated.
>>
>> No authority could be contacted for authentication.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> I installed SQL SP 2 and did not get the error but I do get it every
>> time I try to install SP3.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea that might help resolve the problem.
>SP2 isn't supported on Server 2003, although SP3 should install fine:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=329329
>You might want to post in microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering, in
>case your issue is specific to a cluster setup. You could also call
>PSS directly - if you have the resources to plan and implement
>clustering then I guess the cost of a support call shouldn't be a
>problem. And of course if it's a bug then you aren't charged anyway.
>Simon

It always pays to look at the simple stuff first. One node of the
cluster was pointing to the wrong DNS.

Never start anything like this on a Friday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment