Friday, March 30, 2012

MS SQL2005 reporting Services + AD. Security question

Hi we run completely Windows shop. So Windows Authentication for Reporting Services is only acceptable solution. Idea is that I assign user in RS manager but they get their security check through AD using Cerberus or whatever it is. We did this setup for intranet web site which consist three machine

PC#1 Domain controller (AD)

PC#2 IIS (intranet web site)

PC#3 MS SQL server. (data)

People logon on web server newer asked for credentials on pull up data from SQL server though IIS being themselves, impersonation.

Now I have setup

PC#1 SSRS, IIS for Reports Server, MS SQL 2k5 for RS metadata etc

PC#2 Domain controller (AD)

PC#3 MS SQL2k (data)

I did same setspn procedure but when I tried to log on Report server it asked me for credentials. Moreover when I provide my logon and password it denies it, accepting only admin credentials.

I went trough few books, number article but nobody describe this scenario in spite it should be most popular solution if network based on Windows.

Any help is really appreciated

I am a way out of my league here, but I don't think it is the Report Server who prompts for credentials but IIS. If you create a web app in IIS configured for Windows authentiction and drop a simple html file in it, i bet you will be prompted for when you try to browse it. As far as what's causing it (excluding configuration issues), you may find the following article useful.|||

Teo,

Thanks a lot. I should read this article monthes ago. It is simple and nice compilation about delegation. I will try my luck with tweaking Report Server config and SPN.

I'll keep posting how I am doing, I think it will be helpfull for everybody who will decide to implement SSRS2k5 similar way

No comments:

Post a Comment