Monday, March 26, 2012

MS SQL Server Language Support HELP

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me with a question I have about MS SQL Server. I have looked all over for an answer and have been unable to find anything. I am trying to decide which database to use for a project. I will be using the english language to put the information in the database, but when I give the finished product to my client, he will be putting things in greek.
So, my question is, Does MS SQL Server support the greek character set? Will I be able to create the database in english and have my client input things in greek with the same version of the database. I am builing a website and the database will be on the web and the client will update it through Admin pages on the web. This is why I need it to support both english and greek. Is it possible?
Thank you for your help.
Yes, you can store data in multiple languages at the same time. If you set the default collation for your database to one of the Greek collations, sorting and string comparisons will work the way your Greek-speaking clients will expect. If you need finer grained control, you can even set collation on a per-column basis.

Your application might be easier to implement if you store your data in UNICODE columns such as nchar, nvarchar, or ntext. Using ANSI character types saves some space in your database, but correctly interpreting the string data in your applications can be a little tricky.

Here at Microsoft, we write nearly all our code to use UNICODE strings to make it easier to localize.

No comments:

Post a Comment